The Office (US) dvd cover

Unread 20-09-2012, 18:37

Your right, I haven't posted any work, mainly because I am still practicing and learning how to make covers up to the quality of many others here, but I also don't complain about the work others post, which is how your post came off. If that wasn't your intention, then I apologize for ragging on you.

You can take the "scan" comment as a compliment, since the front of your cover looked just like the front of the retail season 7 cover.

As for word choice:
The “jinks” in “high jinks,” meaning “playful, rowdy activity” or “disruptive pranks or unruly behavior” comes from a slightly different Scots dialect sense of “jink” as a noun meaning “game” or “prank.” Apparently “high jinks” in the 16th century was a drinking game (at the time also known as “high pranks”) in which the loser in a throw of dice had to perform a silly task (or drink a certain quantity of alcohol). By the mid-19th century, “high jinks” in standard English had come to mean “lively merrymaking” and “boisterous pranks” in general.

After tracing that convoluted evolutionary path of “jinks,” it’s a relief to report that “jinx,” meaning “curse or spell,” is a completely unrelated word with no connection to “jink.” As a matter of fact, “jinx,” which first appeared in American English in 1911, is actually a misspelling of the much older word “jynx,” which dates back to the 1600s (and is rooted in the Greek “iynx”). This older form “jynx” was another name for a kind of European woodpecker also known as a “wryneck” for its habit of twisting its head around when disturbed.

So hijinx would just be a lazy spelling of hijinks (that bothersome k and s taking too much time to text I guess) and hijinks is just a abbreviated form of high jinks (again I blame Ashton Kutcher and Twitter).

When using cut and pasted your going to have to live with the occasional common vernacular, otherwise stu won't post, unless you are willing to send him alternative synopsis' as he's asked for in his newsletters.

If I came off snippy, I apologize. People who complain about others hard work (especially people's work that far surpasses my ability) pisses me off and I tend to be vocal about it.
Show Replies

Last edited by CEMorgan; 20-09-2012 at 19:03.

separator Similar Threads
Thread Uploader Forum Replies

The Office Season 1 ( US )

HvB TV-Show Custom Labels 4

The Office (US)

rlesko TV-Show Custom Labels 3

The Office (US)

HvB Title Treatment 1

The Office US - Season 3

HelloShaun TV-Show Scanned Covers 17

The Office (US)

Stubuster TV-Show Custom Covers 4