View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:21

Thanked 11,181 Times in 361 Posts
You might not see any UFC related art from me again, the hard drive with all UFC, covers, labels, templates & pictures died on me yesterday as I was finishing off Fuel 5.
Got some tips to take out the HD, will have to see how things turn out. Seems this is boring to ChoudderBoy, I guess if it isn't kings of leon, killers, kasabian or pearl jam we all need to get a life. Funny that he comes on here and thinks we make covers for his benifit and if some thing goes wrong, why should it bother him.
Copied from shoutbox:-
[20:57] ChoudderBoy: do me a favor
[20:57] RobertM: Of course, you have to like solving problems,.. and helping others.
[20:56] ChoudderBoy: get a life m8
[20:56] RobertM: Rescuing an HDD can be quite a thrilling experience.
[20:54] RobertM: Actually, losing an HDD is anything but boring.
[20:52] ChoudderBoy: boring or what
[20:49] Dack: k, laters
[20:48] RobertM: Anyway, try swapping the enclosure first, then come back if that doesn't fix the problem.
[20:48] RobertM: The HDD control board is attached to the HDD, but it is not a hard job to remove/replace if you can find an identical match (same manufacturer and model number).
[20:47] Dack: ahh I see said the blind man, thanks again
[20:47] Morpheo : yes that would mean your HD is still fine
[20:46] RobertM: The external conroller is in the external drive case, so not part of the actual HDD itself.
[20:45] Dack: whats a external controller
[20:44] Morpheo : I've had that problem a couple of times and it was always the external controller... fingers crossed Dack! :)
Remember that external drives are just a regular HD in a cheap enclosure. The enclosures can be had for little money, and it is easy to swap one HD in an enclosure for another.
[20;41] Dack: will have to try the swap tomorrow, see if i can sort another hdd
[20:38] Dack: I like the sound of cheap, and I really like the sound of EASY
[20:38] RobertM: My first suggestion would be to confirm if the external drive bay works. Try putting a know good HD into the enclosure and see if it reads.
[20:37] RobertM: So it could be the platters (bad news), the HDD controller (maybe fixable) or the external drive controller (cheap and eaxy fix).
[20:36] Dack: yes
[20:36] RobertM: Is this an external HDD?
[20:35] Dack: I would have no clue, how would I find out, tried in another laptop and it woudn't recognized it
[20:34] RobertM: Are you sure it's the HD, and not some other part of the data chain?
[20:33] Dack: thanks for the reply, I was trying to finish a cover but photoshop kept freezing. thats when I found out it was the HD
[20:33] RobertM: If the board seems OK or you cannot find an identical match then your only option is probably to send it away for extraction.
[20:32] RobertM: If the board is bad then you can try to find an IDENTICAL drive and swap the boards. I have done this before successfully.
[20:31] RobertM: It could be that it is only the control board that is fried. Remove the board from the drive (usually just a few screws) and see if you can see any burnt traces or components.
[20:29] RobertM: Depends on how "broken" it is. There are services that will attempt to extract as much as possible, but they are not cheap -- imagine >$100 for starters.
[20:00] Dack: anyone know if there is anyway of getting stuff off of a HD that has broke, if not no more UFC covers as I will of lost all

I lost all my templates october 2012

Last edited by Dack; 01-10-2012 at 16:35.